Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Yet Another Way to Procrastinate

Last year, I was introduced to an amazing website called Stumbleupon.com. This site has saved me from boredom, homework, essays, and responsibilities... to say the least. Stumbleupon is a search engine that is meant for discovery rather than finding. It enables the users to stumble upon different websites that tend to their specific taste. Once a user becomes a part of the community, they can pick topics that represent their likes and interests. Once everything is set up, it is time to STUMBLE! All they do is press the button stumble, and it takes them to a web site, photo, or video that caters to their topics. If the user fancies the page they have stumbled upon then they like the page and the engine brings up more and more things that are closer to their interests. If the page isn't to up to their standards then they unlike it and the engine makes sure to leave out pages that the user would most likely not enjoy. Plus, after the user likes the page it is considered a favorite and it's on a list in their account so they can always revisit the site if wanted. Users can also find their friends on Stumbleupon to see what kind of things that like as well and to share sites founded.
The website was founded in Canada by Garret Camp, Geoff Smith, Justin LaFrance, and Eric Boyd. It was an investor-backed company when first starting off in San Fransisco, and at one point the company was sold to eBay. Though, in 2009 it was bought back by the original founders, and is today an investor-backed company in New York and San Fransisco.
I love this website with all of my heart. I am a sort of artist, and I have found a cornucopia of arts and crafts to do while stumbling. I also love humor, and some of the most hilarious things I've found were the ones I stumbled upon. A person can literally spend hours and hours on this site. Beneath I'll give examples of sites that can be stumbled upon by getting on my account and as I stumble I'll put up fun sites I find.

1. The first site, that I usually always stumbleupon is a site called Craftgawker. The link is here. This site is a compilation of people's blogs that are chosen to be put up where someone can either by arts and crafts or learn how to make certain things. It has really quirky, cute crafts that are perfect for many of people.

2. The next thing I've come across is this video from Collegehumor. It is entirely too awesome. It's titled Human Jumbotron. You just need to watch the video to see how intense it is. Human Jumbotron

3. Do you love Harry Potter? Confession time!! I do! Well, if you said yes to loving Harry Potter, then I've just stumbled upon something you may just enjoy. A really cool site called 8tracks.com allows it's users to put up playlists online for other people to search and find. The playlist I just found is (Literally) Magical Harry Potter Film Scores.

4. Mmmm, recipes! I love to cook, and these cookies look scrumptious. Baked Perfection: S'mores Cookies.

5. Perfection. Have any of you out there heard of being... Rick Rolled? This is when you are on Youtube and you expect a certain video but instead it's Rick Astley's song Never Gonna Give You Up. This humorous paper I stumbled upon is a student Rick Rolling his computer teacher. The link is here.

There it is! The awesomeness of Stumbleupon.com. I highly recommend you join the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment