Friday, March 4, 2011

Reasons to choose Mac over PC

All of my documents from my PC work on my Mac. The same software I was familiar with, such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Outlook are all on my Mac. Microsoft offers the same software suit that are available for Windows and for around the same price.

The Mac can run Windows 7 on parallels or on Boot Camp. Parallels lets you run Windows on your Mac without having to restart your computer. Boot Camp requires you to restart but it runs a lot smoother and faster because instead of having to share your system resources on running two operating systems. You can use all of your system resources on Windows and get all the benefits of having Windows with a few Mac touches, such as the multi-touch track pad features that work in Boot Camp.

The multi-touch track pad is awesome. It has features such as using two fingers to scroll up and down, pinching to shrink, expanding to enlarge, and many others. The new operating system, Lion, is said to have even more features as well. The best feature to me is the feature that allows you to use four fingers and move them all downward and it will show me all my open documents at once. This makes switching between programs and documents even easier.

It is possible for a Mac to get a virus but the likelihood of it happening is slim to none. Windows does have the majority of the personal computer market therefor making it a bigger target for virus makers. One reason Macs don’t get viruses is because system files can only be edited with user authentication and it’s a lot easier to self-install something on a Windows based computer. The Mac OS is built on UNIX, which is a more secure operating system.

I had a Dell before my MacBook Pro. I could never take my Dell to class without taking the charger. When my MacBook Pro is fully charged I can leave the power supply at home because I can take it to work, class, and still have battery left by the end of the day. I’ve had my MBP for over a year now and the battery will still last several hours before I have to worry about plugging it up. My Dell battery was pretty much worthless after a year. The new MacBook Pro can last up to 7 hours on a full charged battery.

The last reason I love Mac over Windows is the support I get from Apple. Apple has workshops at their retail stores that can teach me how to use their software. They offer many video tutorials on their website to teach me the basics. The Macs come with 365 days of warranty incase anything goes wrong with your computer but you can also purchase more before the first year is up. Apple also offers a video here that shows some of the basic differences in using the Mac over Windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment