Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Clearing up Blu-ray

I recently bought into all the hype and purchased my first Blu-ray player and I have so far I have no complaints. The picture quality is so amazing you feel that you are part of what you are watching. This comes from a Blu-ray disc being true 1080p quality which dominates the HD streaming of Netflix. The sound quality from Blu-ray is also superb.

Before I purchased my player I did plenty of research on which player was the best. It is a good idea to stick with your major brand names, Samsung, Sony, LG or Panasonic. I have a 3D tv, but having to put on bulky glasses to watch a movie doesn't appeal to me so I saved some money by getting a standard Blu-ray player. If you choose to get a 3D Blu-ray player you will still be able to play regular 2D Blu-ray discs and DVDs. I narrowed my options down to one model from each of the four brands, the Samsung BDD5700ZA, Panasonic DMPBDT210, LG BD640 and the Sony NSZGT1. All of these models are $199 except for the Sony which is $399.

The Sony is double the price because it comes with Google TV which allows you to have access to the Google Chrome browser and a lot of applications through a wifi connection. A lot of these applications offered through this player and Google TV are the same as Apple TV which is only $99 so buying one of the other players and Apple TV you would save $100.

The Samsung, Panasonic, and LG are all internet ready and have wifi. This gives you access to applications such as Netflix which all of these players have. The LG player can also access Youtube which is nice to have on your TV. The Samsung has the most applications with Netflix, Youtube, Napster, Pandora, Facebook and the option to download more from the Samsung server. Besides the difference in applications these players are virtually the same all with Dolby Digital 5.1 output, the best for audio.

I ended up buying the Samsung because I own a 46 inch LED Samsung TV and I decided to stay with the brand. The Panasonic and LG would have worked just the same and I see the Sony to be somewhat of a rip off at $399 just for the addition of Google TV.

After you get a Blu-ray player you have to make sure to get some awesome movies on Blu-ray format. I highly recommend Planet Earth because the visuals are insane. Also check out The Dark Knight, the visuals are great and the sound quality is even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment