Monday, March 28, 2011

Blackberry's humble beginnings


I have had many phones and dealt with many phone companies. I've even tried several smartphones that never tickled my fancy. Whenever one got damaged or it was time to upgrade I would trash the previous phone to begin my search again. Sadly they all seemed incompetent when it came down to catering to my cellular needs. After years of searching, I found a phone that fit my hand like a glove, and that is more addictive than any drug (i would assume): My Blackberry. Now every time Verizon tells me i am eligible for an upgrade I am never inquisitive nor anxious about the outcome of my choice. I know what I will be getting. Because I love my Blackberry smartphone so much i am dedicating this post to: THE VERY FIRST BLACKBERRY and a few of its sisters.

Wow, I know this looks a bit sketchy but this was definately the begining of something beautiful. The Inter@ctive pager 850 was the first Blackberry made by RIM (research in motion). Surprisingly, this was not the first Blackberry PHONE. It was a 2 way pager with a full keyboard that was released in 1997 and was also the very first device made by RIM.


The 5790 was the first RIM device that was a mobile phone. It is a data only handheld which includes email, SMS, browser and organizer applications in a single wireless device. There was no microphone use nor speaker use. It wasn't until later when RIM created the 5810.

The Blackberry 5810 was the first Blackberry PDA to include voice capability but it lacked a speaker and a microphone so a headset was required. The 5810 also offered email, SMS, browser and organizer applications. featured Java developement platform.


No comments:

Post a Comment